Thursday, August 21, 2008

week two...

Greetings from Ghana,



So here is an update on life on the other side of the world. This was the first week of class, but while I attended all of mine, only my drumming class actually happened. Apparently professors rarely show up the first week, and on top of that, there was a strike. They resolved the strike Tuesday afternoon, but all of my classes are on Monday and Tuesday, so I got off easy this week.



Fun and exciting things of this week. I went to an Obama rally Tuesday night put on by American supporters here in Accra(mainly expatriots although the student community definitely made a showing too). We took the tro-tros and everything which is the authentic way to travel, and I got to pick up a form to request an absentee ballot so I can vote!



Wednesday I went to the Madina market with a friend, again taking the tro-tros. We wanted to buy cooking supplies, and last night we made fried plantains(which took and hour and a half on our rusty hotplate in the hostel kitchen). I love the markets; they are crazy. People are everywhere, trying to sell you things, and the sounds and smells bombard you.



Also, I ate with my hands for the first time last night, which was a lot of fun and I enjoyed probably more than is completely rational. I had sticky rice and groundnut stew. I really enjoy Ghanaian cuisine and Ghanaian fruit!



Yep, so thats that, and now I can enjoy my long weekend. I hope all is well back home and everyone is enjoying life in general as much as I am!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, its really cool to hear how things are going for you, to hear about tro-tros and teacher strikes and frying plantains.

Scarlet and I did En Christo today (helping out some first-time helpers from first pres) and we went down to one of my floors to see Ann (an old lady I talked to a lot last year). Speaking of Obama, it turns out she's a supporter. Among other things, she hopes having a non-white president will help with foreign relations.
Anyways, it seems like this will be a good year. I'm helping my roommate move into the shalom center tomorrow, so I'll get to see what my room's like.

Hope you enjoy your classes this week.