Monday, August 18, 2008

Hello from Ghana

Hello from Ghana,
I have been here a week and am having a great time. My trip here went smoothly and this past week we received an extensive orientation getting registered as students and lectured on how things work here(ettiquette, politics and religion in the life of the everyday Ghanaian). We also got to see the city and go to the beach. The university is located in a part of Accra called Legon, but there are affordable ways to get anywhere from tro-tros(vans with lots of people) to taxis which are considerably cheaper than in the united states. Around campus there is the old standby of walking.
The campus is big, sprawling and rather beautiful. It is definitely more tropical here than back home with lots of humidity but it hasn't been too hot yet(it's the rainy season so I've heard it gets hotter but also a little less humid later on). You constantly have to watch yourself walking around though because unlike back in the states, pedestrians really have no right of way. THe first few days we all walked in the roads, but I think we've learned to hug the shoulder pretty well.
The program I am studying through is called ISEP, and there are 32 ISEP students from America this semester. There are also several other programs with students from America here. Orientation was a good opportunity to get to know the other ISEP students at least, and they are overall a fun group of people and quite eclectic coming from all over the US.
Today was the first day of classes and the last day of registration, meaning that I went to class this morning but because registration wasn't over the prof didn't see the need to come to class. After waiting for 30 minutes the students who had come decided to . Oh well, maybe next time... I am hopefully going to be taking seven classes; a Twi language class, an AFrican drumming class, a class on the Politics of International Economic Relations, a class on the International Politics of Refugees, a class on Peacebuilding in Post-conflict society, a class on the History of Colonialism in Africa and maybe a class on the Sociology of Law. I also hope to volunteer somewhere while I am here, but that is still in the works.
Anyways, that is life here so far and probably more than anyone has time to read. Now I will cross my fingers and hope the slow and tempremental internet will allow me to actually publish my post:) I hope all is well back in the States!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, it made it through.
Those classes sound very cool- 7 is a lot though! But I suppose you can let out pent up stress in drumming class...

The news from Spokane: Margaret is visiting, Kyle Navis is about to leave for Uganda, and RAs are starting to arrive as the school year rapidly approaches. I got my textbooks, which is exciting.
Tonight we had reading group (discussed a chapter of Bonhoeffer's Life Together) and you came up. At which point Becca and Kyle started imitating the signature Nicola expressions you make, and quite accurately I would say. So you're definitely not forgotten around here. =)
Hope your classes go well and your prof shows up next time.

tiggerlady said...

NIKI
This is Sue and I work with your dad. I hope you remember me. I have watched you grow over the years through your dad's ongoing stories. He comes and tells me gleaming all over about your new experiences and your accomplishments. I even have photos on the wall of you and your siblings almost every Christmas. I have 2001,02,04 and 2006. Hope I get a new one soon. I separated from my husband several years ago but, we are in contact and he still has the Abbey-cat. He loves her so much and spoils both cats terribly.
I hope you don't mind if I watch your adventures on the blog. It is so fun to hear about all you are and will experience there. What a lifetime thrill to learn so intimately about another such diverse area of the world.
You are an amazing writer and I've read some of your short stories and the big book size one. Your dad knows how much I like hearing your stories. I guess I just am a keeper of interesting people I meet and you are so much fun to watch and learn about. Keep up the astonishing work and let me know if it's OK for me to watch.
Sue Beilke (TCC Library)