Monday, August 25, 2008

Week Three

It is crazy to think I have already been here two weeks and am starting my third already... Life here continues to be good, full of adventures...
My biggest adventure perhaps was this past Friday when some friends and I decided to go to the National Museum. We took a taxi(slightly terrifying; I might stick to tro-tros as much as possible and not just for financial reasons...) They let us off several blocks away at the National Theatre which we had heard was only a short walk away... We got lost, but then we asked for directions, multiple times... We found it and the museum itself was really interesting. It had this one section which had all these finds from archaelogical digs showing just how old civilization in Africa goes back. In Ghana alone there were multiple Empires and throughout all of the West Africa region.
From the museum we decided to venture off the beaten track and hunt down a restaurant nearby mentioned in somebodies guidebook. The restaurant was fun; I got to eat with my hands again... And after the restaurant we had to find a tro-tro station and navigate our way back to campus at night, being the only abrunis(white people or foreigners). Ok, maybe not very exciting sounding, but it was pretty adventuresome feeling... people were very helpful to point us in the right direction and we kept a close hold on our bags for those who would be helpful in relieving us of our wallets
In other news, I went to the beach yesterday and got sunburned... but it was really fun and the ocean is very pretty and quite warm. I had my first academic class today and got assigned my first homework; I have a feeling that school here is going to be a far cry less demanding than a semester at Whitworth which quite frankly I feel quite happy with.
That's that for now!

No comments: